Thread: Jumping spider?

Jumping spider?

I have been trying to identify this spider that I flicked off of my arm while in the garage early in morning of 9/10/13. while i was sitting in my chair reading, smoking, and drinking my coffee. I have seen several spiders similar to this out on out patio which is directly attached to garage. Springfield Missouri is location.
    Last edited by Tmcspadd; 09-13-2013 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Forgot to give geographic location

Legendary Member arachnaphobiasans's Avatar
    There are many kinds of jumping spiders http://bugguide.net/node/view/1962. If you'd like to incude a photo, click on the square icon in the top of the text entry box (it has points on the corners and looks like a picture of a tree).
    With what kind of voice/ Would the spider cry/ In the autumn wind? - Basho

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	11642
    I was viewing in mobile mode and couldn't figure out how to add the picture. Thanks for your tips, it really helped. I am anxious to find out what kind it is. I have been getting bites on my legs that are not mosquito bites.

Legendary Member arachnaphobiasans's Avatar
    I can tell you that, whatever is biting you, is not this guy. This is a Platycryptus undatus - a male, I think. I have several in my yard - they tend to be shy (or occasionally oblivious) and will run away if approached or threatened. Jumping spiders in general are unlikely to bite, and are not medically significant. A bite from one of these would be similar to a mosquito bite a bee sting at worst - and spider bites are extremely itchy, but usually heal up in a week or two, as long as there's no secondary infection (from scratching). There are a lot of other things that could be causing your bites.
    (I myself have been getting bitten by something lately - that I highly suspect are mosquitos - they are big enough here at this time of year to bite through pants, and I seem to have a delayed response, not getting the itchy lumps commonly associated with mosquito bites until a day or two after the initial bite) - everyone's immune system is different.
    If you have multiple bites at the same time, it's even less likely a spider and more likely a blood-seeking insect (flea, bedbug, mosquito - there are a lot actually and I don't know them all - another member may have a reference to these...). Spiders tend to give one defensive or reflexive bite in order to escape - and either escape or are crushed by the person they bite (if in their sleep)
    With what kind of voice/ Would the spider cry/ In the autumn wind? - Basho

..i'm in central NC, and we've had a wet, relatively cool summer..the mosquitos are extreme!! Cannot go out without some kind of protection..and some of them are TINY, but deliver a sharp sting when they release...