Thread: Cannot figure this out!

Cannot figure this out!

I found this 1 crawling on my ceiling. Unfortunately due to my extreme fear of spiders I had to kill it just moments after taking this bad picture. It was just a over a half inch in length and had to red dots on the top of the abdomen. It doesnt look like a widow, more like a house spider, but the red dots and its shorter 2nd pair of legs are throwing me off. Im confident that it came from some furniture that we brought into our home just minutes before I noticed it (looks like thefurniture had been stored in a dusty garage). After further inspection I found another smaller yellowish brown spider in a funnle like nest in the furniture. I promptly destroyed the nest/spider because im terrified. At first I thought it was a widow, but after research, im confused. Help me out! Is it dangerous? If you cant access the pic, let me know!

Above is the link to the photo and I am in northern Colorado. Again, let me know if the photo link doest work for you.

It looks like a jumping spider, but yeah, it is definitely not a black widow. So not medically significant and nothing to worry about. Sorry I don't know what species though.

I agree that it's not a black widow (or any other widow spider). Unfortunately, the picture is so dark that I can only see the silhouette of the spider.
    Helpful Links: ID Guide ID Resources Species Guides FAQ Spider Bites Glossary

"There is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance." --Neil deGrasse Tyson

Not sure due to the detail on the picture but this almost looks like a Parson Spider.

http://www.whatsthatbug.com/2011/12/14/parson-spider-3

Not a parson spider either. Try looking through here for the time being. http://bugguide.net/node/view/1962/bgpage They have some color on them, and a lot of them have larger front legs.

MattyFresh:

The spider in your linked image from Facebook appears to be a specimen of the "Bold Jumper," Phidippus audax. It is quite a common species on the Front Range. Jumping spiders (family Salticidae) hunt "on foot" instead of spinning webs to trap prey. As a result, they sometimes stray indoors looking for insects. They have remarkably keen eyesight and will look up at you when you approach.

No jumping spider species is considered by scientists to be dangerously venomous to people or pets. I'd give it free reign to rid your home of flies, mosquitoes, and other truly harmful pests.

Eric