Thread: Large spider in Washington State

Large spider in Washington State

Hi everyone,

Anyone know what this spider is? I'm sure it isn't the Brown Recluse which is found here. I'm more concerned about it being Hobo spiders or some such. I've found these as large as 2 1/2" long. We have them in our house a LOT!

Thanks!

Cheryl
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bigspider1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	3811   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bigspider3.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	3812  

Distinguished Member MyssArachnomancer's Avatar
    Note, Brown Recluse do NOT live in Washington. Isolated incidents of spiders being introduced do happen, but they don't happen enough to have a population establish. Hobo Spiders have not been proven by science to be dangerously venomous, and most of the reputation they have is hype.

This may be Tegenaria gigantea, but I'm not entirely familiar with this group. They can grow large, but are not dangerously venomous. This is a male, and male spiders wander far and wide looking for mates.

Hi Cheryl - where in WA are you located? I have a friend who is looking for one of these in the Seattle area, and if you still have it, I bet he would be thrilled to take it off your hands.

I always get confused with this genus (Tegenaria) but it sure looks like Tegenaria gigantea, the so-called Giant House Spider. The other option is of course the hobo spider, but those only suffer the rumor of being dangerous.

There are no brown recluses in WA!
    Kwakwaka'wakw

Ha! Nice work - you beat me by 3 minutes.
    Kwakwaka'wakw

We live in Lakewood... just south of Tacoma. Holly... if your friend wants one of these I'll catch the next one for him. I've found one per day for about the last week in our house.

Thanks for the info!

Distinguished Member
    This is a harmless giant house spider. This time of year they are out looking for mates. You couldn't find a spider that is less likely to bite you then this guy.