Thread: Spider Identification in Western New York

Spider Identification in Western New York

Hello! I was wondering if you could help me identify the spider I found in my basement (around 10p). This is the second I have seen and saw the first about a week ago in the same location. I am located in Buffalo, New York. Thanks so much!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-6.jpg 
Views:	1418 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	111  

Welcome to the new forum, Kathryn!

Nice image of an adult male Amaurobius ferox (nicknamed "Hacklemesh Weavers"). This species mates in the spring, so they have been scaring a lot of people lately. The adult males leave their web and go on the hunt for a female, so this often leads them inadvertently indoors. Plus, this imported European species is well-known for living in human-related places, so there might have actually been a few inside to begin with (or in the basement, garage, etc). They almost never leave their web until mating season, so don't get noticed the rest of the time since their webs are typically in hidden, dark spots. This spider is not considered dangerously venomous to people, by the way.

Thanks for sharing! Hope this helps.

Hi Mandy,

Thanks so much for your quick reply! Our spider definitely seemed a bit lost and scared of us too! We took him safely outdoors.

The forums are great and have lots of interesting information.

Thanks again for your help.

Happy to help! Thank you for stopping by and checking the place out. We've just recently re-opened a forum like this (it was previously at SpiderIdentification.org).

Glad to hear the fella was released safely outdoors, by the way!