Thread: Big Spiders in NH

Big Spiders in NH

I've lived in southern New Hampshire for about a decade, and I've never seen spiders this large until today, when I found four of them on my house. I'm equal parts intrigued and creeped out.

Can anyone tell me what these are?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-06-01_12-56-56_239.jpg 
Views:	1280 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	1078Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-06-01_12-49-13_21.jpg 
Views:	1610 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	1079

The spider in the left-hand picture is a female nursery web spider (Pisaurina mira). The other spider also looks like a nursery web spider (genus Pisaurina), but I'm not 100% sure if it's the same species as the first spider. (There are six variations of P. mira.) Both spiders appear to be either gravid (pregnant) or very well fed.

Nursery web spiders are active hunters that do not rely on webs to ensnare prey. (They're called "nursery web spiders," because they build a nursery web for their young.) No species of nursery web spider is recognized as being dangerous to humans or pets, in case you were concerned. See this site's species guide for more information.

For future reference, it is best to start a separate thread for each individual spider, even if it's the same species as another of your spiders. It makes it easier for the administrators to organize the threads after the spiders have been identified.
    Helpful Links: ID Guide ID Resources Species Guides FAQ Spider Bites Glossary

"There is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance." --Neil deGrasse Tyson

Great! Thanks for the info!

You're welcome!
    Helpful Links: ID Guide ID Resources Species Guides FAQ Spider Bites Glossary

"There is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance." --Neil deGrasse Tyson

I'm currently in the middle of building an in-ground pool in my backyard. There is about 5 inches of rain water in the bottom of the deep end of the gunite shell, where various critters have all decided to congregate.

I found one of these nursery web spiders resting on the very edge of the water, hanging onto the gunite surface, on the far side of the pool from me. I made a couple of ripples in the water, and apparently woke him up. He came ripping across the top of the water at a ridiculously high rate of speed. When he was about 2 feet from me, he turned around and ran right back where he came from. I guess I wasn't what he thought I was.

Anyway, I see these "big" guys from time to time in southern NH, and they really exhibit a fleeing behavior when they realize they've been seen by people, but they really aren't fun to find inside the house since they are really fast.

Legendary Member JumpSpidersInc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by biggen5963 View Post
    I'm currently in the middle of building an in-ground pool in my backyard. There is about 5 inches of rain water in the bottom of the deep end of the gunite shell, where various critters have all decided to congregate.

I found one of these nursery web spiders resting on the very edge of the water, hanging onto the gunite surface, on the far side of the pool from me. I made a couple of ripples in the water, and apparently woke him up. He came ripping across the top of the water at a ridiculously high rate of speed. When he was about 2 feet from me, he turned around and ran right back where he came from. I guess I wasn't what he thought I was.

Anyway, I see these "big" guys from time to time in southern NH, and they really exhibit a fleeing behavior when they realize they've been seen by people, but they really aren't fun to find inside the house since they are really fast.
    Your spider sounds more like a Dolomedes, from your description.